- When a piece scores its first kill, its Fear stat increases by 20. This value is slightly modified depending on the number of witnesses.
- All future kills decrease the Fear stat by 30.
- Fear is increased by 10 whenever a piece witnesses the death of a piece within its own army.
- All Fear effects on Pawns are run through a 2x multiplier.
- A piece surrounded by pieces of its own colour loses Fear.
- A piece surrounded by pieces of the opposite colour gains Fear.
- Ghosts are a common late-game source of Fear.
- Equinophobic pieces gain Fear when adjacent to a Horsey.
- The Bishop is God-Fearing.
- The Djinn increases nearby pieces' Fear.
- Fear itself causes increases to Fear.
Fear has no known effect on gameplay.